The above club was formed in 1868 and became known as the ‘Turks’ in 1878. This was in recognition of the bravery shown by a few thousand Turkish Soldiers against the might of the Russian army at the battle of Plevna in Rumania in 1877.
President John Crowe of G&DI with Dr Haldun Solmazturk visited historic Fordingbridge and met with the Mayor Cllr Malcolm Connolly, Mike Penton, the Chairman of the Club and Julian Hewitt a Trustee of the Town Museum. Discussions were held with a view to arranging a football match between local and Turkish boys from Gelibolu in Turkey to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the club.
G&DI shields were presented and Dr Solmazturk presented a plaque from Gelibolu Dernegi and an ornate framed tile depicting the town of Gelibolu. Dr Solmazturk will report back to ‘Gelibolu Dernegi’ (the Gallipoli Association of Turkey) for the planning to continue.
Wreaths were laid at the Remembrance Gate and a visit made to Fordingbridge Museum.
G&DI is grateful to Coskun (Josh) Deniz for making the arrangements. He is both Turkish and the local police officer.