It has been a tradition for the Hawick Callants Club to commemorate Gallipoli since 1916 by laying a wreath at ‘The Horse’ statue in Oliver Place, Hawick, because no war memorial was erected until the 1920s.
For this Centenary Year the tradition was carried out on Sunday 12th July 2015. It was a beautiful sunny morning. All the supporters gathered @ 13.30 hours. The Club Vice President, together with The Honorary Provost and Recitor-Rev Michael Scouler stepped forward. The Vice President laid the Club wreath after which the Reciter read the words ‘For the Fallen by Laurence Binyon.
Everyone then moved on to Wilton Lodge Park where the town War Memorial is situated. Individual crosses had been planted in the grass beside the memorial of all those who had fallen. These included a photograph and personal details.
At the entrance to the park club members, together with representatives of the King’s Own Scottish Borderers Association, Ex Serviceman’s Associations and British Legion marched through the gate to the Memorial. They were accompanied by the bugler and a piper playing the KOSB march ‘Blue Bonnets Over the Border’.
At 14.00 hours the wreath layers including President John Crowe marched to the Memorial where the service commenced. Before and after each wreath was laid 12 names out of a total of 132 were read out. The service was accompanied by music provided by Hawick Saxhorn Band.
It was a most moving ceremony attended by a large number of local people including relatives of those that died. President John Crowe expressed his grateful thanks to Callants Club Secretary Brian Tait for inviting the G&DI to be present on this solemn occasion.